Home > Academics > Speech and Theatre
Speech and Theatre Department
The mission of the Speech and Theatre Department is to:
- inspire curiosity, inquiry, and creativity;
- foster empathy, collaboration, and self-esteem; and
- promote free expression, passion for art, and the pursuit of excellence.
Disciplined study of speech and theatre provides a path to a comprehensive understanding of the individual within the global community. Students who pursue excellence in communicative arts are more confident taking personal and professional risks, grow from seeking out and legitimizing different perspectives, and embrace opportunities to both struggle with old ideas and create new work.
Upon successful completion of any course within the Speech and Theatre Department, the student should be able to:
- collaborate effectively in diverse situations and groups
- respond to others with empathy and compassion
- reason critically
- articulate thought meaningfully
- select mindfully
- express ideas artistically
- apply diverse resources and methods to their work
Students in the Speech and Theatre Department may build on their classroom experiences by participating in co-curricular and extracurricular opportunities in theatrical performance, stagecraft and design, interscholastic speech and debate competition, and media production and broadcasting. These activities are offered in collaboration with the Performing Arts Division.
News and Updates
Incoming Freshman Registration Information
Curricular Opportunities Media Production This course introduces students to the study of mass media communication: print, radio, film, television, video, and Internet media. Students have the opportunity to produce their own video and radio projects and participate in live broadcasts on New Trier’s student-run radio s