New Trier High School was one of only five high schools from across the state to be invited to perform at the Illinois Music Education Conference, hosted by the Illinois Music Education Association (ILMEA) in Peoria, Illinois on Jan 29-Feb. 1. The annual conference brings together educators from every area and age level of music education and features over 150 clinics and concerts over three days.
"Performing at the Illinois Music Education Conference gives students a chance to play for a crowd of discerning music professionals," Director of Bands Matt Temple said. "As such, the students felt a great sense of responsibility to perform at their absolute best. Truly, it was an emotionally charged performance."
The centerpiece of their performance was a work by Omar Thomas, entitled "Of Our New Day Begun," which is dedicated to the victims of the Mother Emanuel church shooting that occurred in 2015. The New Trier Music Department has developed an equity goal for this school year "to intentionally study and perform music by composers of diverse backgrounds that have traditionally been under-represented, including people of color and diversity in regards to gender, sexual identity, economic class, religion, and other forms of identity." Their performance of Thomas's piece was in support of this goal, as it incorporates the time-honored song, "Lift Every Voice and Sing," which is widely known as the Negro National Anthem.
The band also performed "Rejoicing" by Alfred Reed, "Tears of St. Lawrence" by Aaron Perrine, and "The Gum-Sucker's March" by Percy Grainger. As is tradition for the state convention, their program included newer band pieces alongside classic works.
The musicians of the 2019-2020 New Trier High School Symphonic Wind Ensemble are:
- Piccolo: Yael Shaw*
- Flute: Selena Deng, Audrey Goodwin, Briana Hinrichs, Hitomi Ono*, Emmi Rivkin, Jane Rosin
- Oboe: Lydia Campbell*, Henry White
- Bassoon: Zara Bedella, Kevin McDonald*
- Clarinet: Jacob Chang, Sela Cornell, Kathryn Hemmer*, Sarah Hughes, Ian McClellan, Alexis Rosenberg, Seth Salkin-Weiss, Andy Xue
- Bass Clarinet: Sam Kawula, Jenna Oshana
- Alto Saxophone: Chase Mazzier, Nick Thabit, Henry Witt*, Jason Yuan
- Tenor Saxophone: Raghav Gupta
- Baritone Sax: Hannah Li, Ted Lutton
- Trumpet: Ben Eberle, Nicole Fabish, Noah Lolli, Ben Portland, Liam Ryan, Connor Williamson, Won Yang*
- Horn: Noah French, Hope Kim, Ava Naghshineh, Alex Naumann, Jesse Yang*
- Trombone: Nicholas Chang, Weillin Feng*, Ben Levens
- Bass Trombone: Ethan Ille
- Euphonium: Caleb Albrecht*, Joao Viola
- Tuba: Sam Dienstag, Henry Merrilees*
- Percussion/Piano: Cameron Baba*, Michael Chen, Maddox Eckert, Henry Kalil-Felbinger, Andrew Kearney*, Luke von Kapff
- String Bass: Austin Lyons
To learn more about the ILMEA and the IMEC, visit https://ilmea.org/imec . To learn more about New Trier High School's Music Program, visit https://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/music/ .