We understand there is a lot of uncertainty, fear, and anxiety around what is happening in the world with COVID-19. We recognize this is a really challenging time for everyone, and we have confidence that our NT community will be there for one another, as well as supports and resources our community agencies are providing.
Our children observe how we, as adults, are reacting to a crisis or a stressful event and look to us for guidance. A few basic tips are to check in with your kids, validate their concerns, address facts and fears, and be able to listen and empathize with their worries. We have provided some tips, websites, apps, and videos to help you and your kids manage during this difficult time.
We hope these wellness resources and time of reflection will provide you and your child with opportunities for physical, mental and emotional self-care. Please consider these links below.
The JED Foundation has shared the following mental health resources specific to COVID-19:
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has guidance on managing mental health and coping during COVID-19 for children and caregivers
- The Child Mind Institute has published a resource on how to talk
- young people about COVID-19.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has information on travel, media resources, and other research on COVID-19.
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America Psychologist Jelena Kecmanovic provides some science-based strategies and tips for coping with COVID-19 anxiety.