Civil Engineering and Architecture
In Civil Engineering and Architecture , students learn about various aspects of civil engineering and architecture. Students will design and develop residential and commercial properties. To design these structures, students will use 3D software to design and document solutions for major course projects. Solutions to these unique design problems will be presented to their peers and professionals. Course topics include, but are not limited to, building components and systems, structural design, road construction and design, stormwater management, site design, utilities and services, cost estimation, and energy efficiency. Students who earn a qualifying grade may be eligible to receive college credit . This course fulfills the graduation requirement for fine and/or practical arts.
Civil Engineering and Architecture Video
Units and Activities:
- Surveying a piece of land
- Design a pre-fabricated home and learn about it can be built through traditional framing.
- Design your own commercial library:
- Learn about codes, commercial loads for roof design and beam analysis. Field trip to U of Chicago library to learn about the future of this building type.
- Storm Water, Supply and Treatment: place your HFH on a site, design the driveway patios and sidewalks before completing calculations for storm water, supply and treatment. Field Trip to Sunset Ridge to look at a net zero school and detention pond design.
- HFH - design your own style of Habitat for Humanity house. Learn about construction plans which include plumbing and electric.
- Material Analysis: how important is a budget? Create material takeoffs for two walls in determining the coat for typical construction items.
- Concrete Analysis: learn about typical foundations through calculations, designing the correct layout for rebar on a slab and making real concrete forms.
- Heat Loss and Gain-Learn about sustainability and insulation through the calculation of two walls from the Tiny Home. BTU and KWhr. Classroom visit from an Energy Consultant.
- Construction- Frame 1:1 scale wall
Projects include topics of:
- Cost Analysis
- Energy Efficiency
- Storm water analysis
- Water supply
- Electrical Systems
- Waste-water management
- Affordable housing design
- Universal design
- Land Use and Development
- Commercial building components
- Structural Design
- Steel deck
- Precast concrete floors
- Steel joints
- Structural steel beams
- Spread footings
- Services and Utilities
- Energy Codes
- Electrical systems
- Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning systems
- Waste-water management
- Site Considerations
- Land surveying
- Soil analysis
- Road design
- Parking lot design
- Storm water management
- Site grading
- Project management
In the course, students are eligible to receive College Dual Credit . Info Link