Social Work Support Groups
If you are interested in joining or finding out more information about one of the groups, please stop by B230 at Northfield, room 225 at Winnetka, or email email@example.com.
These are need-based support groups that run when we have reached a minimum threshold of students demonstrating interest. Groups meet weekly during rotating periods, so students should only miss one class per quarter. Students joining these groups are responsible for making up work from the class they missed. All students attending a support group will be administratively excused for that period. Dates and times for groups will be determined each school year.
- SAMS (Stress and Anxiety Management Strategies) – is a short-term group that provides students with foundational knowledge on how stress and anxiety can impact their physical and mental health. Students are taught a variety of skills and strategies that, when implemented, can lead to healthier thought/behavioral patterns, improved self-esteem, and academic performance.
- EMPOWER - For students who have survived abusive and/or unhealthy intimate relationships or experiences. The group will be educational and supportive, covering topics which will include: increased esteem, boundary setting, self-awareness and the impact of societal, cultural and media influences.
- MANGOS-Support group for students who have suffered the loss of a parent or sibling
- RAFT - This support group will help students deal with the stress of family members and/or close friends who are addicted to alcohol and/or drugs
- RECOVERY- Provides support for students who are working to maintain abstinence from alcohol, drugs or other processed addictions. Students MUST be committed to working on sobriety issues.
- PICKLES - An extension of a support group run by the Pickles organization dedicated to providing a supportive space for students with parents/caregivers that have cancer.
- Eating Disorder Recovery Group- Provides support for students recovering from eating disorders who have received some treatment
- Siblings With a Disability - A support group for students who have an older or younger sibling who have a disability.