Summer School Frequently Asked Questions
- Academic and Enrichment classes will be held at the Winnetka Campus.
- Sports will be held at the Northfield Campus or Duke Childs Field.
- 1st semester: June 12- July 6 (No school Monday, June 19, Monday, July 3; Tuesday, July 4)
- 2nd semester: July 7 -July 28
When does Registration open?
- February 1st at 8:00 AM
When does Registration close?
- March 20 – Registration deadline for Academic and Enrichment courses.
- After March 20, classes will be determined and staff hired based on the number of requests.
- Registration requests submitted after the deadline will be granted based on space availability.
- Courses with insufficient enrollment will be canceled after the March 20 deadline and families will be informed of the cancellation between mid-April through mid-May.
How do I register my student for Summer School?
- Log into the PowerSchool Parent Portal at: https://newtrier.powerschool.com/public/
- Click on “Forms” located on the left side navigation bar.
- Under the category “Summer School” choose the following form(s):
- Summer School Academic / Enrichment Course Request 2023
- Summer School Athletic Course Request 2023
What if I want to sign up for both Academic/Enrichment courses, AND Sports?
To avoid time conflicts between classes and athletics, students and parents are urged to carefully read the summer school course catalog prior to completing the Summer School Registration Request Form.
What if I change my mind on what class I want?
- Up to March 20, parents will be able to modify and re-submit the Summer School Registration Form if a change needs to be made.
- After March 20, parents who have submitted the form will not be able to modify and re-submit the form. If a change must be made after March 20, the parent must email the change request to email@example.com
How do I register for any remaining classes after the March 20th deadline?
- Registration will reopen on April 3rd until the enrollment reaches capacity
- Only families who have not previously submitted a registration form will have access to request classes that have available space.
- If a change must be made after the deadline to a form submitted before March 20, the parent must email the change request to firstname.lastname@example.org
If the class I want is full, can I be placed on a waitlist?
- Once a course reaches capacity, parents may select the “waitlist” option that will be listed on the form.
- Students will NOT be able to register for one course AND be placed on a waitlist for a different course.
- Students cannot be placed on multiple waitlists.
When will I know if I got into the class I signed up for?
Families will be contacted between mid-April through mid-May if their summer school request cannot be accommodated.
What is the cost and when is tuition due?
- Costs are listed in the Summer School brochure under each class.
- There is no tuition for credit recovery courses.
- Registrants must pay the entire tuition at the time of billing from New Trier’s Business Office, which will occur in May.
If the class I want gets canceled due to low enrollment, what are my options?
- Families will be contacted between mid-April through mid-May if their summer school request cannot be accommodated.
- Registration will reopen on April 3 until the enrollment reaches capacity.
- Students may receive a tuition refund for a dropped course through the first three days of a class.
- Semester 1 full refund deadline: June 14, 3 PM.
- Semester 2 full refund deadline: July 11, 3 PM.
- Requests to prorate athletic camps due to non-attendance in the course will be considered if more than 50% of the days will be missed. The three-day deadline also applies to classes that do not fall within the semester framework.
What is the attendance policy?
- A course that meets 2 hours/day for 3 1/2 weeks has an absence limit of 2 days.
- A course that meets 2 hours/day for 7 weeks has an absence limit of 4 days (2/semester).
- A course that meets 4 or 5 hours/day for 7 weeks has an absence limit of 4 days (2/semester).
- Please note exceptions for Consumer Seminar (Web-based) and Driver Education.
- All students in Academic courses must be present on the last day of school for the final exam.
What if I already know I need to miss more days than than allowed?
- A student who exceeds the absence limit in an enrichment course may be dropped from the class.
- A student who exceeds the absence limit before the drop date for a graded course will be dropped from the class, will receive no credit, and will not be allowed to return to class.
- A student who exceeds the absence limit after the drop date in a graded course will receive an F grade and will be removed from the class.
How should I report my student absent?
Send an email directly to the teacher for Summer School absences.
Will the lunchroom be open?
- Yes. Breakfast will be available 7:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m. and run straight into lunch, which will end at 12:30 p.m.
Where can students park?
- Winnetka- Students may park only on Essex Road, Woodland Ave. north of Trevian Way, Sunset Road eastbound, Winnetka Ave. east of Essex, and Wilson. Students may not park in the New Trier parking lots or on Trevian Way. The Green Bay and Elder Lane lots are not available for student parking during the summer.
Faculty and staff parking is in the East lot, the gravel surfaced lot, and on Trevian Way.
- Northfield- Students may park only in the Happ Rd lot (west side of the school)
Faculty and staff parking is in the East & South Lot
What if I have a question not covered above?
- For academic or enrichment classes - email email@example.com
- For sports opportunities - email the athletic office at firstname.lastname@example.org