Greg Harris Film Festival 2022
Write a script, grab that camera, and find some actors—it’s time to enter your film in New Trier’s Greg Harris Film Festival. Film Race Films will be due Monday, April 25 and General Films will be due on Friday, April 29. During the week of May 9, we will screen the official selections on our YouTube channel, asking advisers to show them through that week. On Monday, May 16, we will showcase winning films at the Wilmette Theatre. At 7pm the magic begins as we screen selected films. At 8pm, the ceremony crowning selected filmmakers, who will be honored with Harris Awards in a variety of categories. Come dressed for the event!
If you’re up for the challenge, this is what you need to know:
- The deadline to enter films is Friday April 29 for general categories; the Film Race films are due April 25 (see below for details). Click here to fill out the form for your entry.
- Any genre— music video, comedy, drama, thriller/suspense, horror, spoof, experimental, documentary, animation, movie trailer, commercial/PSA—is fair game
- Films can range from 1-6 minutes; you may submit more than one movie
- Remember that parents, siblings and faculty will be present—create a film for all audiences
- Dress for the night—it’s a film festival—pull out those jackets and ties and gowns. Let’s do it in style!
- Not all films will be shown during the festival; a panel of judges will select films to be screened; all those who submit will be notified whether they have been selected
- Each entry file should be named the same as the title of the movie.
- Each entry should have a 5 second “slate” (a simple black and white title card with the name of the project and those submitting it), followed by 2 seconds of black. This “slate” will not take the place of traditional titles or be shown at the fest, but is helpful in identifying the movie and the creators.
- Include 2 seconds of black at the end of movie.
- Adjust your audio levels so that they peak at –6 db. This will prevent audio distortion.
- Stop by the Helpdesk if you have any questions or need technical assistance.
- If you have questions, contact Mr. Syrek or Mr. Trovato
Ready! Get Set! Film Race!
As a special genre, the film race will be open to all students who are up for a different challenge.
You will have 72 hours –from Friday April 22 to Monday April 25—to make a short film (30 seconds to 4 minutes) that must include 2 secret elements:
a line of dialogue
a specific object
2022 Film Race Elements:
Action/Prop: Removing sunglasses from your face
Line of dialogue: I am Vengeance
The dialogue and object have to be somewhere in the film, though they do not have to play a major role in the plot or story.
Students can enter more than one film—for instance a regularly shot film and a film race film.
All Film Race movies must be submitted no later than Monday, April 25 by 3:30 pm